Monday, January 3, 2011

MONSTER HUNTER!! the experience!!

All Monster Hunter fanatics are running wild when it's newest installment, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was released in Japan!! The english version of the game will take a while before it's released, but that doesn't stop the die hard fans to play the game.Relying on wiki and forums to help them play, Monster Hunter is once again, a big hit!! And as for me, i'm one of them!!!


I've been playing games for a very long time. Though i'm not a hardcore gamer, I still played a lot! Starting with Nintendo's Family Computer (NES) down to Sony's PSP and PC games. Tried a lot of game styles, RPG's, Shooter, Arcade, Strategy and MMO's as well. I never liked playing alone so RPG games, for me, tends to get a little boring. Especially games that are single player only, no matter how awesome the graphics is. I enjoy Shooter games, I suck at Arcade and I love Strategy Games. MMO's gave me the satisfaction for a while, but it still not enough. Then came MONSTER HUNTER!!

I have my DS and was playing Pokemon back then when a friend from work asked me why I bought a DS instead of a PSP. I said "there wasn't a game that I like on the PSP" or something like that. Pokemon was the only RPG I played, Mario Kart is really addicting especially when I race with my friends who also owns a DS, and the latest Final Fantasy Tactics!! He showed me then, what he was playing. Monster Hunter 2G!! Together with another friend, they played and explained to me the game style of Monster Hunter. That was it!
What I was looking for a game was there!

  • MULTIPLAYER -  up to 4 players
  • NO LEVELING - unlike in MMO's which you have to have the same level or within 10 levels to party with other players, so a level 99 can't party with a level 1. Monster Hunter has what you call Hunter Ranking (HR). Some monsters has HR requirements before you can hunt them, but high HR players can join low HR players in hunting monsters within their  HR limit.
  •  NON-TARGETING SYSTEM - it means you have to manually target, attack, block or dodge. You don't rely on level but rather you rely on your skills when you hunt.
  • CUSTOMIZABLE WEAPONS and ARMORS - a lot of games have this, but what does it mean? Other games allows you to wear different armor and weapons, but at the end all players look the same. Why? Because the high level armors and weapons always has the highest def or atk stats. Monster Hunter is the same up to that point only. The armor sets give skills, and you can mix and match different armors to get your desired skill, so as the weapons. (What I like in strategy games is how you equip your units, same goes for Monster Hunter.)
  • NO JOB, CLASS RESTRICTION - Monster Hunter doesn't have jobs or class so you can use any weapon you want. And it promotes different character builds as well.
  • AWESOME GRAPHICS!! - I know, I don't really care but it's a plus!
I think that was all what I liked about Monster Hunter or what I can only remember. I had to buy a PSP just to play it!! The game gets better when you play with others. The rush, the thrill!! It's a game that can make you shout for glory! It's always a challenge! You can love or hate the monster you encounter. The AI is great that almost every battle is different. Here's a glimpse for those who haven't played or seen Monster Hunter.



The Monster Hunter community is really great. Providing information and tips for the game. And then, the heroes who made language patches for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Thanks to them, the fans who can't read japanese can now play with ease. It still a long way before the north american version is released, but when that time comes, let us, the FANS, support capcom, and buy the game. This will ensure of another Monster Hunter release!! 

links for monster hunter tips and patches:

No comments:

Post a Comment